Create a magical ecosystem in your backyard! Invite songbirds, butterflies, bees, and more by nurturing a wildlife habitat garden. With stunning photography, lists of the best plants to support wildlife, and 17 projects the whole family can enjoy, this is a must-have resource for nature enthusiasts, gardeners, and animal lovers.
From renowned National Wildlife Federation naturalist and TV host David Mizejewski comes a new book to show you how to create a magical ecosystem right in your backyard! Invite beautiful songbirds, colorful butterflies, buzzing bees and other fascinating wildlife by nurturing a wildlife habitat garden. With more than 200 high-quality photographs, lists of the best native plants to support wildlife and 17 gardening projects the whole family can enjoy, from building bird houses to creating garden ponds, Attracting Birds, Butterflies, and Other Backyard Wildlife, Expanded Second Edition is a must-have resource for nature enthusiasts, gardeners, and animal lovers.
- New updated edition to coincide with the National Wildlife Federation's 80th anniversary.
- National Wildlife Federation is the largest U.S. nonprofit conservation organization, with 6 million members and 51 state and territorial affiliated organizations.
- Wildlife-friendly gardening practices, landscape designs, and family projects.
- More than 200 color photos and illustrations.
- New information on attracting backyard pollinators--a major issue for environmentalists as bee populations decline.
- Winner of the Publishers Marketing Association's Ben Franklin Award.
- Now redesigned with more pages in a smaller trim size.
"The most valuable parts of the book are those in which Mizejewski emphasizes the importance of using native plants to maintain the mutual relationships that plants, animals and other living organisms have developed over the millennia and explains how exotic imports can disrupt this balance." —Publishers Weekly
"David's superb revision brings us up to date on the most effective ways to enhance our local ecosystems by using the beautiful native plants our birds and bees depend on." —Doug Tallamy, AUTHOR OF BRINGING NATURE HOME
David Mizejewski is a naturalist with the National Wildlife Federation. He holds a degree in Human and Natural Ecology from Emory University and has hosted television series on both Animal Planet and NatGeo WILD. He regularly appears on NBC's Today Show and does dozens of other television and public appearances each year to promote wildlife conservation. He specializes in urban ecology, the role that native plants have on wildlife populations, and helping people restore wildlife habitat in their cities, towns, neighborhoods, backyards, and gardens.