Hot on the heels of the remarkable award-winning "Arrival," Tan's delightfully weird and poignant take on suburban living firmly cements his reputation as a gifted storyteller and artist. Tan's books are for the young and old, to be revisited time after time. A new book by Shaun Tan is always a joyous occasion.
“Tales from Outer Suburbia is a story told in vignettes expressed in artistic renderings and text, which capture the experiences and stories heard, but not quite fully understood, of the impressionistic years of childhood. Not solely a picture book, nor just a graphic book or fictional tale, it's, rather, all of these combined - perfect to share with young and old alike.”
— Jack Blanchard, Fairy Godmother, Washington, DC
An exchange student who's really an alien, a secret room that becomes the perfect place for a quick escape, a typical tale of grandfatherly exaggeration that is actually even more bizarre than he says... These are the odd details of everyday life that grow and take on an incredible life of their own in tales and illustrations that Shaun Tan's many fans will love.
About the Author
Shaun Tan is the New York Times bestselling author of The Arrival, Tales from Outer Suburbia, Tales from the Inner City, Rules of Summer, and The Singing Bones. He received the Astrid Lindgren Memorial Award in 2011 and won an Academy Award for the adaptation of his picture book The Lost Thing (from Lost & Found: Three by Shaun Tan). Shaun lives in Melbourne, Australia.
Praise for Tales from Outer Suburbia
A New York Times Best Illustrated Book A Publishers Weekly Best Book
"You almost can't stop yourself from saying 'Wow...' Tan's work overflows with human warmth and childlike wonder." -- New York Times Book Review
"Tales from Outer Suburbia is not quite like anything else, and that's perhaps the best thing of all about it, opening up reading as a sort of strong, wild and individual activity." -- Chicago Tribune
* "The thoughtful and engaged reader will take from these stories an experience as deep and profound as with anything he has ever read." -- Booklist, starred review
* "Graphic-novel and text enthusiasts alike will be drawn to this breathtaking combination of words and images." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
Praise for The Arrival
A New York Times Best Illustrated Book Book Sense Book of the Year -- Honor Book World Fantasy Award -- Best Artist An ALA Top Ten Great Graphic Novel for Teens A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book A Publishers Weekly Best Book New York Magazine's Top Comic Book A School Library Journal Best Book
"Mesmerizing... Such visual eloquence can only motivate readers to seek out any future graphic novels from Shaun Tan, regardless of where they might be shelved." -- New York Times Book Review
"Astonishing." -- The Washington Post
"A wordless tour de force." -- Time Out New York Kids
* "A silent, fantastical masterpiece... Filled with both subtlety and grandeur, the book is a unique work that not only fulfills but also expands the potential of its form." -- Booklist, starred review
* "An unashamed paean to the immigrant's spirit, tenacity and guts, perfectly crafted for maximum effect." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Few will remain unaffected by this timeless stunner." -- Publishers Weekly, starred review